Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Great Outdoors...

A few weeks ago my family of four and my parents and sister all went on our annual camping trip down to Ponderosa Campground near Antonito, Colorado. We had the best time ever! I feel like each year as my boys grow, it gets more fun to do things like camping because I see the excitement in their eyes and that makes things even more worthwhile. Even though we aren't roughing it by any means, meaning we eat like we are kings and queens and even have a heater in the pop up, it is great to get into the great outdoors and take in all the fresh mountain air and noises of nature. 


My boys loved sleeping in sleeping bags all snuggled up tight with their warm jammies, which we won't have to break out at home til' mid October most likely. I love waking in the mornings when camping. There is a coolness in the air that is so refreshing and rejuvenating, nothing else like it. Mornings while camping also include hot cocoa (chocolate mustaches included), fireside cuddles, and the most delicious breakfasts. Food is just better when you are camping!


This was what we get to wake up to every single morning while camping. It was gorgeous watching the rocky cliffs and trees around us get drenched in sunlight as the Sun found it's way over the horizon.


The boys begged their Daddy to bring their new toy with them (a joint birthday gift to the boys from my parents). Kyle somehow found a way to fit it into our car along with all of our various camping equipment. I don't know how he did fit it all with as much stuff as we brought. You think we went camping for weeks with the amount of stuff that we brought with us on our 4 day adventure. The boys were delighted to drive their dune buggy around the pebbly campground road, giggling all the way. Other campers were overjoyed to see them zooming around as well and the boys were always welcomed by them with a smile and usually a conversation discussing their means of transportation. I guess there isn't anything much cuter than two little boys driving around a Power Wheels laughing all the way with their adorable little boy laughs.


Since we just purchased our ATV this Summer we had yet to take it on a camping trip with us. We have been on several day trips ATVing up near Divide, but it was our first opportunity to really test it in the outdoors. Everyone really enjoyed the ATVing! We brought Kyle's dad's ATV with us as well so there was more to go around. It was my mom, dad, and sister's first time on an ATV and I think they kinda got hooked. Bringing those ATVs brought camping to a whole new level. Instead of reading books, fishing, and playing games (which we still did but just not as much) we had a real adventure on the ATVs and they took us to some new places that we had yet to visit.


My mom and dad looking cool on the ATV


Thumbs up if you are having a good time...guess Kaleb wasn't having a good time lol


My sister looking like a pro on the ATV


I think my husband is in heaven when he is on his ATV. He loves that thing and has even named her Kamryn. Kyle calls Kamryn his third child and I even catch him looking at her with adoration just like he would a child. Boys and their toys...boys and their toys!


We also enjoyed the beautiful scenery while taking walks and exploring. I enjoy wild flowering watching, insect hunting, and listening to the noise of the river as it flows over rocks and bubbles back up again. The boys particularly like to rock hunt and brought their pails with them to contain all their rocky findings. Kaleb has even started a rock collection at home, which he enjoys adding to on a regular basis.




 


Kaleb and Aunt Laura hand in hand on one of our nature walks. Aunt Laura loves my boys and she is so good with them.




The men partook in a game of horseshoe. I don't know who won in the end, as a matter of fact I don't know if they guys did either:) 


There was a group of kids playing around us while we sat and watched the guys play horseshoe and we ended up starting a game of volleyball with them. After some talking with them we discovered that we all had something in common...we had all been coming to the same campground since we were little. I have been going to Ponderosa since I was 8 and Laura was 3. Now we are carrying on the tradition with my little men. Kaden started going when he was less than 1 and the first time Kaleb went I was pregnant with him:)




Sunset= LOVE!


Camo brothers!


My parents just love their grandboys!


Gorgeous!


My family...so blessed:)


The owner of the campground we stay at ventured a top this cliff a long time ago to raise this flag up there. There on top of the mountain is stays and sways back in forth, flapping in the wind, waiting for whoever comes to visit it.




My hubby did get a little fishing in while Kaleb, Laura, and I watched. It was so relaxing to sit beside the river and watch Kyle fish. I loved listening to the plop of the lure hit the surface of the water and the splashing as Kyle caught a fish and he was fighting the wriggling creature out of the water. Kyle was a compassionate fisherman though...he caught the fish and kindly let it go.   

 


Me and my biggest boy:)


He love his mama!


Beautiful!


One of the best parts of camping is the fire and marshmallow roasting and fire poking. By the end of the trip my boys were expert marshmallow roasters. They each liked their marshmallows scorched a bit different. Me personally, I like mine to be browned a little with only hints of burntness definitely accompanied with a graham crackers and chunk of chocolate. 



Kaden liked his really burnt!


Fireside


Poker games in the dark are just somehow better...well not so much when you are losing. 

We had a great time in the great outdoors...until next year!

No comments: